This Week at Cross Church | Convention Update, Baptism at the Crosses, and Summer Activities

timthumb.phpCross Church family,

What a week it has been! Several members of your Cross Church ministry team joined me in attending the Pastors’ Conference and the Southern Baptist Convention Annual Meeting in Houston, Texas. God moved mightily during the days of the Pastors’ Conference and the Annual Meeting. I left encouraged by the many issues and things that were discussed. God is moving among the churches of America — including Cross Church — and we are so blessed.

My Involvement at the SBC Annual Meeting

On Tuesday, June 11, 2013, I presented a motion to the convention about the issue of ministering to those dealing with mental health challenges. My motion requested that the Executive Committee and the entities of the SBC work in cooperation to assist local churches in finding ways to minister to those suffering from mental health issues.

I feel so strongly about this issue — so many people in our church, community, and region are coping with mental illness. Did you know that 58 million Americans and 450 million people globally suffer with the enormous challenges presented by mental illness? My motion appealed to the SBC to be passionately pro-active about this concern and to start dialoging about ways to minister to those dealing with mental illness in a positive, hopeful manner.

So what happened? The Committee on Order of Business determined to refer my motion to the Executive Committee and the 11 entities of the SBC for consideration. I was asked to speak to the Convention for three minutes about the subject of mental illness, which I did. The good news is that yesterday the SBC messengers overwhelmingly approved a resolution. The approved resolution urges Southern Baptists to “oppose all stigmatization and prejudice” and supports “the wise use of medical intervention for mental health concerns when appropriate.”

As always, God is in control. It is my prayer that entire SBC will stand for and reach out to those struggling with mental illness.

Baptism at the Crosses

On the evening of June 30, all four Cross Church campuses will gather together for our annual “Fireworks at the Crosses” at our Pinnacle Hills campus. During this time you have an opportunity to take part in Believers Baptism in the outdoor baptistry located at the base of our three crosses. Every year I have the pleasure of joyfully baptizing many of my Brothers and Sisters in Christ at this phenomenal event. If you have trusted Christ as your personal Lord and Savior, but have not been baptized, the time is NOW to follow the Lord’s commandment and make your commitment public. Click here for more information.

Summer Activities for Children, Youth, and Students

This week our Springdale and Fayetteville campuses welcomed hundreds of children into their Vacation Bible Xtreme events. Thank you to our staff, summer interns, and army of volunteers that made these Gospel-centered events so special for our children. Parents can still register their children for the Cross Church Pinnacle Hills VBX, July 8-12, click here for registration.

Additionally our Middle School Camp started yesterday. Lets pray that each of our middle school students experience God in a special way while away at summer camp. Please note that Sunday is the last day to sign up for Student Camp, and Kidz Kamp is just around the corner. Summer camp details can be found here.

This Sunday, as a church family we will continue our mini-series on iNFLUENCE. Join us as we study the influence of Peter from Acts 10. I hope you are enjoying our walk through the Book of Acts, I know I enjoy the many powerful lessons and messages that the Book of Acts holds.

Yours for the Great Commission,

Ronnie W. Floyd