Archive for August, 2013
I have a growing conviction that we are on the brink of the next great move of God in America. I do not proclaim to have any special insight on this, but I just sense in my heart that God is preparing His people to do something special.
Seasons and Moments
I do believe we have had seasons and moments when God was up to something big, but we walked away from it. Hundreds of thousands of people who are my age came to Christ during one of these great seasons called, The Jesus Movement. Countless thousands of us were called into ministry and missions due to this great move of God. Since the church did not embrace it fully, in time, the movement seemed to subside. Yet, many of the results of that great move of God have been long lasting and eternal for, perhaps, millions of people.
It appears to me, some twenty years later, there was another great surge of the outpouring of the Holy Spirit. Matters like prayer, fasting, and holiness seemed to emerge in the ranks of Christianity. Great men like Bill Bright began to lead conferences on prayer and fasting, and at the same time, a men’s movement called Promise Keepers seemed to be rising greatly. The status in the nation, along with this rising tide of the Spirit of God, seemed to move us to the brink of entering the land of that next great move of God.
I Will Never Forget
Due to God’s movement in my own life in a profound manner, I found myself, on October 4, 1997, preaching to 1.3 million men in the Washington D. C. Mall at a Promise Keepers national gathering for men called, “Stand in the Gap.” As I left Washington D.C. that evening, I thought we were about to cross over into the unknown territory of the next great move of God.
Yet, for some reason, it seemed it just did not happen. Some would say they know why, and perhaps they do. I will leave that up to historians to decide. Yet, one cannot deny the powerful movement of God that led up to that day in Washington. It was something far bigger than conferences on prayer and fasting, or Promise Keepers. But for some reason, by the year 2000, this rising tide seemed to go back out to the sea, yet to return.
God Is Preparing His People
My life was changed by the power of the gospel of Jesus Christ in the first movement I described, and I was involved actively in the second great movement. For the past ten to fifteen years, it seemed the tide would not roll in again. While the nation continues to fall into deeper depravity, the church seems to be losing ground greatly.
However, I am very hopeful! I sense God is rolling in the tide of the Holy Spirit in a fresh way. Yes, sin abounds in our nation; but grace abounds much more! While many churches seem powerless and others are dying, God is doing some mighty things in many churches across the land. While some may be closing their doors, others are entering into moments never before seen in the American church. Yes, I believe God is preparing His people.
Why I am Hopeful we are on the Brink of the Next Great Move of God
I choose to believe by faith that we are on the brink of the next great move of God for these reasons:
1. Desperation is growing. People are convicted, now more than I have seen in many years, God is our only hope. While desperation is growing, God is getting us ready! I believe all generations are desperate for God to do something great in our day.
2. Prayer is on the rise. I am hearing and sensing that prayer is on the rise in the church. People are beginning to cry out to God again. God always answers when His people cry out to Him in their desperation for Him to move. Extraordinary prayer always precedes the manifest presence of God. As desperation is growing, prayers are rising up from the people of God.
3. Leaders are ready. Everywhere I go and every spiritual leader I talk to is aware the need for a move of God is greater today than ever before in our generation. They know, with growing conviction, God is our only hope! Leaders appear to be more ready for this next great move of God than I have seen in years.
4. Church is the key. We hear continually that denominations and conventions are losing their meaningful influence they held in the past. Whether this is true or not, without question, even those in denominational or conventional gospel work, are aware the landscape has changed from even a decade ago. This places the church at center stage, just the way Jesus intended.
I believe this next great movement of God will fall upon a church that is experiencing:
- A return to the gospel. Not just receiving the gospel, but living out the gospel.
- A rising commitment to planting gospel churches nationally and globally.
- A revitalization and rebirth of vision and mission.
- A renewal towards compassion for the poor, the needy, the orphan, the widow, the broken, and the hurting; whether it has come from a person’s past, misfortune, or even a disaster, a renewal towards compassion is occurring.
- A release of people, dreams, and resources to the finishing of the task of making disciples of all the nations.
This is why I am hopeful we are on the brink of the next great move of God in our nation. The church is as ripe as I have ever seen it. If indeed the great outpouring of the Spirit happens in our generation, He will be poured out upon a church that is as ready as possible, and prayerfully desperate. When the church is prepared and prayerfully desperate, I believe we will cross on over into the land of that next great move of God and ultimately finish the task of making disciples of all the nations.
Yours for the Great Commission,
Ronnie W. Floyd
After taking a week for Study and Vision Planning, then moving directly into leading our Staff Advance, with great anticipation I look forward to Sunday as I share with you from the Word of God. On Sunday, August 4, I will be completing our miniseries called, “When Jesus Comes To Church”. As I share with you from the book of Acts, come prayed up and ready to hear the Lord speak to you.
What We Will See This Sunday
On Sunday, our text will speak to us about subjects of great importance for any Christ-follower and local church. We will hear God speak to us about the importance of:
I promise, if you join us, God will have a word for you personally. If you will bring a guest with you, someone on the search for Christ or a Christ-follower already, they will leave encountering our Lord personally. Pray for Sunday. Bring your Bible. Invite others. Expect God to meet with us.
You Will Meet Several of Our Church Planters on Sunday
Since 2010, Cross Church has invested in and planted sixty-six churches across the world. You are an amazing church! Eighteen of our planters and thirteen of their wives have joined us this week for our Annual Staff Advance. As we have invested in them and their leadership, a few of them will be observing the ministry of Cross Church this Sunday. If you meet one of them…bless them, love them, hug them, encourage them, and pray for them. Many of them are in major cities, while others in some of our underserved regions of our nation.
Why Church Planting is Important
There are many reasons why church planting is important. As we learned together last week, it is biblical to plant churches. Each gospel church, regardless of size, can invest something with others in order to help plant a church. Tim Keller, a prolific author and influential Pastor in New York City said on July 12 (via Twitter):
A vigorous and continuous approach to church planting is the only way to guarantee an increase in the number of believers.
This is another reason why we invest in planting churches globally. Cross Church believes in church planting and church planters. This is why we want you to join us on Sunday, August 11. Our fellowship will be commissioning Drew and Emily Griffin on this date, as they leave for New York City, downtown Manhattan, to plant Cross Church New York City.
Preparing for the Fall
God is good. Football is beginning! Fall will soon be in the air. As we look towards the launching of our new church year on Sunday, August 25, let’s get involved. How?
- Attend weekly, rather than weakly
- Engage in a small group consistently, not coincidentally
- Serve in a ministry, not meaninglessly
- Give generously, not greedily
Will you do it? Let’s get after it!
Cross Church School of Ministry
The Cross Church School of Ministry welcomes its first students this fall. Cross Church is committed to developing leaders for the future, and the Cross Church School of Ministry is a unique way in which we can do this. Over the next year, our students will have the benefits of academia as well as hands-on ministry experience. We are convinced this will change the next generation of church leadership, all to the glory of God.
Thankful For Our Staff Team
I love our Staff Team. I am thankful for each of them. God is doing some wonderful things in and through each of them. Please pray for them daily.
Support them consistently. Encourage them frequently. Honor them publicly and privately. Give to them generously.
I Will See You Sunday
Yes, I will see you on Sunday. Let’s get ready for what God has to say to us.
Let’s expect God to meet with us and speak to us.
Yours for the Great Commission,
Ronnie W. Floyd